Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Sunday, 7 October 2012

Pauline's Poppies

Hellow fellow crafters,
I know those of you in the UK have been experiencing bizarre weather, but here in Australia it is likewise. Four nights ago, I went to bed with bed socks and a hot water bottle (not a pretty sight!). The next night we tossed and turned throughout the hottest October night for many years, then had a maximum of 36 degrees C the following day. Yesterday, we wore jumpers again. There have also been some pretty serious bushfires not too far from us. The weather people are warning that we are in for a horror summer, temperature- and bushfire-wise! We haven't had rain for weeks, and the grass is tinder dry. mmmm, not nice!
Anyway, on to more pleasant matters - last month, I won a Memory Box die, 'Prim Poppy' in a blog candy draw by a lovely lady, Pauline, who has become a great 'bloggy' buddy. You can find her gorgeous creations here . I fell in love with this die the first time I saw it, so was thrilled when I knew it was coming to live with me. This is the card I made for Pauline, to say "Thank You". She received it a few days ago, so it is now safe to show you.

It was almost impossible to capture the 'damask' effect on the beautiful black paper - at some angles the pattern completely disappeared. I don't know the brand or name of the paper. I bought it at a scrapbook shop about 4 years ago, which has since closed down. The stems are cut from Bazzill Bling cardstock. The flower heads are cut from pearlised card, and I cupped and layered them with 3D Zots to add dimension. 
I wanted to use minimal decoration inside the card to highlight both the beautiful DP (which feels like satin on suede), and my other brand new die, Spellbinders 'Floral Ovals'. I have coveted this set for months! The greeting is computer generated - 'Scriptina' font.
My detail sticker on the back is layered onto more of the DP, then a die-cut using one of my favourites by Marianne.

Challenges I would like to enter -
An Oldie But a Goodie - 'Song' (Little Red Poppy by Rob Kennedy)
Crafty Ann's #75 - 'Film' (Poppy, starring W.C. Fields)
My Heart Pieces - 'Black'

I must play 'domestic goddess' now and prepare some lunch for us. I shouldn't complain though, as John is cooking dinner tonight. So until next time, thank you for looking, and also welcome to my newest follower.

Hugs,
Jennifer. x





9 comments:

  1. This is so elegant. I love the black & red colour combo, just stunning. The backing paper is gorgeous too.
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning! But I don't envy your weather - at least here in the UK we have a rough idea of what to expect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Jennifer, this is just soooo beautiful. I agree with you about those Memory Box Dies, they are a big fave of mine too. Love your card. Cheers Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Jennifer. It's completely classically elegant. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card Jennifer, thank you for joining us at Crafty Ann's
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful card Jennifer, love the die. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ann's this time. Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer - this indeed a totally stylish, classy and elegant card and i can judge as it is standing on my mantelpiece!! :-) Thanks sooo much it is gorgeous in every way - I especially love the way the poppy heads have dimension - stunning. Sorry it has taken me so long to leave a comment but I have been working on the ipad the past few days and it wouldn't let me comment for some reason!
    Hugs
    pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining our challenge Oldie But A Goodie with this great entry, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, they mean such a lot to me.