Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Weekend Spectacular


I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Mine was frantically busy and exhausting, but fabulous. 
Sydney Opera House.

I did my regular Thursday as a volunteer guide at Fort Scratchley in Newcastle, then early on Friday morning John and I travelled to Sydney to view some of the week-long celebrations to commemorate the centenery of the Australian Navy. This event is the most spectacular since Sydney hosted the 2000 Olympic Games. An international naval fleet joined the Australian fleet, and on Saturday night there was a fireworks display that was even more spectacular than Sydney's famous New Year's Eve display. Prince Harry reviewed the fleet.
Sydney Harbour and our famous bridge.

We returned home late on Saturday night, changed our clocks for daylight saving (losing an hour's sleep), then I worked my regular Sunday at the Fort. This weekend was our Labour Day weekend, so the Fort was very busy on Sunday...but not as busy as yesterday (Monday), one of the 4 huge special 'open days' we hold each year.
Observation Post, local radio station's tent, Newcastle and the 
beautiful cathedral in the background.

A local radio station broadcasts from the Fort all day, we fire our 'Big Guns' regularly during the day, the Army band and a jazz band play, and there are various military displays, as well as continuous tunnel tours. 

As I am the only female guide there, I was interviewed by the radio station.

Firing one of the 6" Mk Vl l guns.
WWl l re-enactment group.
Signal flags on the Observation Post.

The Fort opened 2 hours early, and we closed later than normal, so by the time I got home, I was like a zombie. However, I was so overtired, I took hours to go to sleep. I think an early night may be called for tonight.

I will be back tomorrow night with a new challenge at Penny's Paper Crafty, so until then "Happy Crafting".

Hugs,
Jennifer. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, they mean such a lot to me.