Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Monday, 18 August 2014

Vale Al


Early on Saturday morning I received the very sad news that one of my fellow guides at
the Fort where I volunteer, had passed away during the night. Al was only 67, and was
a much loved and respected member of our 'Fort family'. His lovely wife, Roz, is also
a volunteer at the Fort, in the museum. They had only just returned a few weeks
ago from a 1 month trip to Europe, where they shared some
wonderful experiences.

I always prefer my sympathy cards to be fairly simple, yet elegant, so this is  
the card I made for Roz and her family, using a new corner die.

The inside of my card has a verse that I love, and have occasionally included in
sympathy cards. A tiny die-cut dove-in-flight is in the corner of the page 
where I wrote a personal message of comfort to Roz. 

A closer view of the verse.

Challenges
Penny's Paper Crafty #190 - 'Anything Goes'
Sentimental Sundays #220 - 'Monochrome'

Dies - Memory Box Wildflower Corner, Couture Creations Baby Dove
Sentiment - Stamp World With Deepest Sympathy
Verse - Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep by Mary Elizabeth Frye (1932) 
Font - Wendy Medium
Liquid Pearls - Perla

I shall miss Al greatly...he was a true gentleman. When I was training to be a guide at the Fort, he was always so encouraging and supportive, and had a great sense of humour. His favourite piece of music was the 'Dambusters March' (from the film), and he savoured every note when John played it for him at any Fort function. If Roz is agreeable, John would like to play it at the staff Christmas function, as a special tribute to a special man. Those of us on duty yesterday were a little subdued, and one of the guides commented ... "if someone couldn't like Big Al (he was well over 6' tall), there was something wrong with them".
Vale Al

Until next time,
Hugs, 
Jennifer. x

5 comments:

  1. I can never read this verse without a tear Jennifer. A very beautiful condolence card xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear you've lost a friend.
    Your card is very elegant - perfect for the occasion and a beautiful verse too.
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Jennifer.
    The card you've made is absolutely lovely though... And that verse is wonderful for a sympathy card.
    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "Anything Goes” challenge & good luck in the draw…
    Hope to see you again in our next challenge as well…

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very sad occasion and I'm sure your beautiful card will be much appreciated - perfect in it's elegance and the lovely verse.
    Big hugs, Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful card and verse for a very sad occasion. I love the white on white, its simply elegant. Thank you for stopping by at Sentimental Sundays to share this with usx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, they mean such a lot to me.