Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Wednesday, 10 June 2015

Time and Tide

Oh dear, I think I am like a bus...nothing for ages, then two 
posts in one evening.

After several gloriously spring-like days here in the Hunter Valley, the 
weather today is definitely reminding us that winter arrived last week. It
is freezing, raining, and the daylight has been very weak all day. Therefore,
I had trouble getting any decent light to take my photos.

Regular visitors to my blog probably know that very recently I have become
 interested in Mixed Media. I guess it is just part of us evolving in our craft.
However, I will always love creating my cute and clean cards too. Let's just 
say I have added ''another string to my bow''.

So far I have made four Mixed Media cards, but today I decided to try a 
canvas. My few efforts at M. M. are obviously still very "beginner 
standard", but I guess we all have to start somewhere, and the whole 
process is a learning curve. I can't believe how I have changed...the more
messy my hands and desk become, the happier I am...What Fun!!!

This is a small canvas, but even then I procrastinated for an age before
I began...once started though, I really got into the swing of things. 
Previously, I have always created a card/project, then gone looking
for challenges to suit. However, this time there were several challenges
for which I created my canvas. 

This is Tim Holtz's Umbrella Man. I die-cut him from dark grey 
cardstock, ran a narrow line of Brushed Pewter around his edges,
then applied only one coat of clear embossing powder so he had a  
very textured surface. I coloured a silver heart brad with three 
coats of a black Promarker, then applied three coats of 
clear embossing powder.

I printed the quote onto sponged white cardstock with the computer,
cut each word individually, then sponged each tile with black ink.

The clock face was given the same treatment as Umbrella Man, minus
the Brushed Pewter edging.

A side view of my canvas, showing how I mounted Umbrella Man
on black 3D mounting tape.

Challenges I would like to enter
Anything But Cute #2 - 'Make It Masculine'
Craft Stamper - 'Take A Technique...Texture'
Frilly and Funkie - 'Monochromatic'
Mixed Media World #3 - 'Vintage'
Simply Create Too #87 - 'Masculine'
The Craft Barn - 'For The Man in Your Life'
Try It On Tuesday - 'Watches and Clocks'

Canvas Base - Winsor and Newton
Dies - Tim Holtz/Sizzix Umbrella Man, Weathered Clock
Stamps - Blade Rubber Official Paid; Stamp-It Victorian Watch
Stencil - Ranger Dylusions Diamond Small
Quote - Computer generated Harting font 
Texture Paste - homemade (thank you for the recipe Pamellia)
Embossing Powder - Fantasy Crafts Clear 
Printed Tissue - Collections Elements
Gesso - Atelier Traditional
Ink pads - Versamark; Versafine Onyx Black; Distress Ink Pumice Stone; Momento Tuxedo Black, London Fog
Distress Stain - Brushed Pewter
Aquapencil - Black
Heart brad is from my junk stash

I can't wait to have enough time to 'play' and get messy again, and will try something with lots of colour and perhaps some flowers next time.

Bye for now,
Hugs,
Jennifer. x









19 comments:

  1. Wow Jennifer, I am blown away with this!! I would NEVER have known this was your first canvas if you hadn't mentioned it!! Your use of the harlequin stencil is amazing and the background underneath is so interesting, I love it!! Wonderful enamel effect on your accents too!! Here's the thing Jennifer, you are a bloomin' natural at mixed media and it is addictive, but if you keep making such amazing work, I don't think you can claim 'newbie' for much longer. HAHAHA!! Honestly girlfriend, you are really rocking it, and I hope to see many more of these amazing projects!! There's just nothing better than getting-messy-with-it!!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Make It Masculine' challenge this month, I just love seeing your mixed media creations! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just popped back in to say Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Monochromatic' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  2. You are so clever Jennifer, this is incredible for a debut canvas!! I have some " stuff", so get it all out (thinking I might have a go!!) look at it for an age then put it all back again!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS! Wow! You've done an amazing job :-) I just love these stamps and dies and the colour palette is fab. Love the texture and the layout. Just can't believe this is your first canvas!
    I agree with Pamellia, you are a natural! Hugs, Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making quite the impression with your new adventure into mixed media! Grey on grey and black is hard to pull off. You have done so with amazing creativity and technique. Very grunge and fantabulous creation! I love the little heart on the umbrella man! Wowzers wowzers and wowzers!
    Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so gorgeous! Fantastic! Thank you for joining TioT's!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the smokey grey colour, looks very dramatic! Thanks for sharing over at MMW and good luck ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely results. I like the black & white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Love all the texture! Thank you for entering our challenge at Mixed Media World! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great canvas! Can't believe it is your first one! Thank you for sharing it with us at TioT challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful canvas. Love the texture and the enamel look. The little heart on his chest is sweet. Sorry Jennifer but you passed beginner and newbie stages with your last projects - you are a full fledged mixed media artist now and a fine one at that. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing, lovely colours, sentiment....everything! Thank you for joining in The Craft Barn Challenge.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always loved this umbrella man and how perfect does he look in grey scale. A lovely piece -
    Thanks for playing along at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work, thanks for joining us at TIOT, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous canvas .... great use of texture and I love the umbrella man! Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous project!! Thanks for joining us at “Simply Create Too”, hope to see you next time again.

    DT-Member SCT
    Gerda
    http://cardscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great canvas with lots of lovely texture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I looove the sentiment you added to this masterpiece!!! This is just fabulous! Thank you so very much for joining our Make It Masculine challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such great detail and a great take on the challenge. Thanks for playing with us at TIOT.
    Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, they mean such a lot to me.