Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Saturday, 13 June 2015

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Naughty me!!...I am a whole day late telling you about our new
challenge at Winter Wonderland, where our theme this week is
'SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN'

Our lovely sponsor this week is 


I am fast becoming obsessed with mixed media, and decided to create
my DT card in that genre. Methinks however, I probably went a 
bit 'overboard' with my handmade texture paste 'snow'??

I have had this wonderful image of a vintage Santa superimposed on a
vintage postcard for ages, and decided it was about time that I 
printed him out. He was a freebie by the wonderful Linda
from the Funkie Junkie...thank you, Linda.

I am still on quite a steep learning curve with mixed media
products and techniques, and as you can see, my application of crackle 
medium failed. I am now sure that it is partly because I applied it too
thinly, but mostly because I 'worked' it too much. At certain angles a 
thin crackle is visible, but I could not capture it in my photos. Nor 
do the photos show the sparkle of the glitter I sprinkled on the
crackle paste and 'snow'.

I die-cut all my foliage from white cardstock, then sponged it
with various distress inks, the same ones that I used on the image,
although at different 'strengths'. I then randomly scribbled on the 
foliage with a Versamark pen, and sprinkled it with gold embossing 
powder. As an experiment, I over-heated a sample piece, thus
slightly singeing the cardstock. I loved the 'leathery' effect, so
applied that 'technique' to all the pieces of foliage.

In previous attempts at applying texture paste 'snow' over distress
inks, I have found that the distress inks bleed upwards into the 'snow',
therefore discolouring it significantly. With great advice from Pamellia,
I sprayed over the distress inks with workable fixative, let it dry,
then added my 'snow', which remained bright white. Yayyyy!

Challenges I would like to enter
ABC Christmas - 'L for Lyrics...song as inspiration' (Santa Claus Is Coming To Town)
Anything But Cute #2 - 'Make It Masculine'
C.R.A.F.T. #315 - 'Christmas'
Frilly And Funkie - 'Monochromatic'
Fussy And Fancy #141 - 'Distressed (or use an Aurora Wings image)
Simply Create Too #87 - 'Masculine'
The Craft Barn - 'For The Man In Your Life'

Image - Funkie Junkie (Linda Coughlin) Freebie Vintage Santa
Dies - Tim Holtz Sizzix Holiday Greens
Paper - First Edition Christmas Village
Texture Paste - Homemade
Crackle Paste - Tim Holtz Rock Candy
Glitter - Tim Holtz Dry Rock Candy
Embossing Powders - Stampendous Frantage Shabby White; Art Stamps Australia Gold
Distress Inks - Tim Holtz Walnut Stain, Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Iced Spruce
Beads - from my junk stash

For a chance to win a great prize, pop over to Winter Wonderland, check out my teamies' wonderful creations, then enter your own projects. Remember, your project must be for Christmas.

Thank you for visiting,
Hugs
Jennifer. x






14 comments:

  1. A fabulous vintage card Jennifer.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful Christmas card Jennifer!! I love your clean white snow (tee hee). Wonderful vintage feel to this and the image is a perfect choice for the distressed neutral panels. Congratulations on being chosen a DT Favourite AND Exceptional New Mixed Media Artist at Anything But Cute. You really rocked it girl, don't forget to come and grab your winner's badges. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just popping back in to say Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Monochromatic' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  3. Fab Christmas card, thank you so much for sharing with us at the CRAFT Challenge. Shona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jennifer stunning Christmas card!
    Hugs Lynsey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer, I've finally had the chance to come and visit you :) I love your vintage-style christmas card and it doesn't look like to added too much snow at all. Hugs Ax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this is beautiful Jennifer! What a gorgeous Christmas scene...and so perfect for our current challenge at Fussy and Fancy!! Thank you for sharing with us!
    Take care,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is beautiful, I love the snow, don't think you've gone overboard with it at all!!
    Thank you for joining in The Craft Barn Challenge.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer I love your card this week! I'm not really great at the vintage look, you might like to link up with http://12monthsofchristmaslinkup.blogspot.ca/2015/06/challenge-6-optional-theme-home-for.html who are this month challenging us to go vintage (or anything goes)... Have a great week...Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Christmas card ! Love the snowy effects ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful creation and thanks for sharing with us at CRAFT this week love the vintage feel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Jennifer keep on climbing that curve because from where I'm standing you're already making some magic here. I adore the cleverly designed background for the Santa centre. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to receive this card at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your vintage card with Santa, Jennifer. Thanks for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge and good luck in the draw,
    Dorte x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, they mean such a lot to me.