Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Monday, 2 September 2013

Mr. Fix-it, & Cookie Update

Regular visitors to my blog will know that our kitty cat, Cookie, recently went missing for 3 weeks, then returned home a week ago in a terrible state. All week he has been wolfing down every bit of food we put in front of him, and has been gradually gaining back the almost 2kgs he lost, and has seemed to be his 'old' cheeky self again. 

However, late last night I noticed a small wound on his cheek, so early this morning took him straight to our vet. Upon investigation under Cookie's fur, the vet found a large wound. Cookie had to have immediate surgery, so he now has a large 'crater' on his face. The vet had to cut away a huge amount of dead tissue, and there was not enough tissue left to suture after it had all been removed. Our vet is almost certain that the cause is SNAKE BITE!! He believes Cookie became disorientated as the venom took effect, and he wandered further, and further from home, then was so weak he had difficulty finding his way home. He only survived because he was in such good health and condition, and fairly young when it happened.

At the end of this post there is a photo of our Cookie, back home, recovering from the anaesthetic. However, it is QUITE GRAPHIC, so unless you have a strong constitution, I would recommend that you avoid reading to the end of the post. I just wanted to show people what damage a snake can do, IF the victim survives.

Let's move on to more pleasant topics...here in Australia, yesterday was Father's Day. Poor John was all by himself all day, as I was on duty at the Fort. (I am a volunteer guide at Fort Scratchley, at the entrance to Newcastle Harbour.) I did cook him a lamb roast on Saturday night, and then brought home a Chinese takeaway last night, so he said that made up (almost) for my absence.

John is extremely handy around the home. Although it took him several years, he gutted our kitchen down to bare floorboards, then rebuilt a completely new kitchen. He did a wonderful job, and seems to be able to 'turn his hand' to any 'fix-it' tasks.

It seemed so appropriate that I used this oh so cute Stampavie stamp titled Mr. Fix-it
for the card I made for my darling husband of 41 (and a bit) years.
The papers are First Edition Hideaway. I bought a packet of these brads
several years ago, and can't remember what their brand is, or where I bought 
them. They look so real, don't they. 

I coloured Mr. Fix-it with Promarkers.

Inside the card matches the front.

I would like to enter the following challenges:-
Sassy Studio Designs #192 - 'Labour Day-Profession/Type of Work'
The Male Room #3 - 'The Great Outdoors' (builders work outdoors)
Penny Black and More - 'Sketch and/or Autumn Colours'
Crafting With Dragonflies #9 - 'Masculine/Father's Day'
A Gem of a Challenge #95 - '2 Backing Papers'
Card Crafter's Circle #90 - 'For The Boys'
Great Impressions - 'Fall Colours'


Thank you for visiting, and until next time,
Hugs,
Jennifer. x

WARNING  - The following photo is graphic, and may disturb some readers, so if you experience queasiness, please leave this post now!!! The image is the result of surgery following snake bite.

* * * * * * *

* * * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * 

* * *

* *

*


Poor Cookie - still 'woozy' several hours after the anaesthetic.
The vet says he will make a full recovery, albeit with a nasty scar.

16 comments:

  1. Your card is so cute, love the image an design. So sorry about your kitty, glad to read that he is expected to make a full recovery!
    Thanks so much for playing along at Penny Black and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spooky, I've met several people from Newcastle, Australia this summer, my friends Dad lives there too! Your poor cat, I hope he recovers soon. That's a great Fathers Day card, thank you for sharing it with us at The Male Room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Jennnifer. The image and design look fabulous.
    Aww, poor thing, I hope Cookie recovers soon and heals well.
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab card Jennifer. The image is perfect for any DIY male and I love the brads.

    Poor Cookie, he has had an awful time, but thankfully he is back home with you and will hopefully soon make a full recovery.

    Deborah A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super gorgeous card hun, love it - and we have such similar tastes - I have that stamp and those brads, lol! Brilliant job sweetie.
    Awwwwwh, poor Cookie! Oh hun, no wonder he was gone so long, the poor little lamb. I cannot tell you how pleased I am that he is making a good recovery, and good on you for spotting the wound and acting so quickly. Bless his paws, big cuddles please from his Auntie Squirrel (sorry, I have adopted him, he's mine now) and purrs and kissies from his cousin, Vince xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor Cookie, I hope he's all over the worst now and I'm sure is enjoying all the TLC from you. It's a good job he was so strong to make it back to you; what a little fighter :-D
    Fab card with a lovely image and those little brads are super cute!
    Hugs, Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Fathersday card, love the details, glad you got your cat back, I am sure with lots of TLC he will be back to his old self again. Amazing to survive a snake bite, he just used up one of his nine lives for sure...blessings Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card Jennifer and finished off so beautifully. Glad Cookie is recovering as well - fancy there being snakes out already at this time of the year! Thanks for entering this with us at Crafting with Dragonflies for our current challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Jennifer, poor Cookie, I had to go into your profile to see where you lived and where these snakes reside. I do hope he gets on OK.

    Your card has a lovely warm Autumnal feel to it, but of course you are now heading into Spring with summer ahead of you.

    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Penny Black and More challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad your pussy cat has returned to you and I hope Cookie makes a complete recovery - how worrying for you.
    Your card for our challenge this week in The Male Room is lovely - thanks for joining in - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a perfect card for a handy husband. I'm so glad your cookie came home.

    Mary Anne, Great Impressions DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the fall colours you've used and the sweet image, which sounds like it's just perfect for your husband. good news that your cookie returned home and is on the mend. thank you so much for playing along with us this month at penny black and more.
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty card! I am glad that Cookie is doing better. Thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute manly card! Thank you for sharing with us at Card Crafter's Circle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad that your cat found its way home to you. We live on a farm and have 2 outside cats that disappear and reappear (thank goodness) a lot. I know how worrying it can be.
    Your card for your husband is very cute and those brads are perfect! I will be on the lookout for some of those myself.
    Thank-you for sharing with us at Crafting With Dragonflies,
    {Hugs} Barb, DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab creation, thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, they mean such a lot to me.