Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Under the Sea

Hello fellow crafters,
For the first time this season, the last 2 days have had a lovely autumn feel to them (happy dance!!!!). I love autumn - pleasant days and cool nights snuggled under the doona, while the garden is full of colour, and all the plants aren't burnt and limp. 

Enough of this waxing lyrical...again it is time for another challenge at Penny's Paper Crafty, and our theme this week is 
'GINGHAM AND/OR CHECKS'
Our lovely sponsors for this challenge are
I was given this cute image, Little Honey's Little Mermaid, by Sassy Studio Designs to play with, and at first I wasn't sure how I would incorporate gingham or checks into my design. However, last week while I was at my stamp camp, I saw these gorgeous elasticised ribbons in the 'shop'. They reminded me so much of the swimming costumes little girls wore in the 1950s. My first 2 piece swimsuit was pink and white gingham, and extremely modest by today's standards, I must say.
The background is Core'dinations cardstock, which I spritzed lightly with water, embossed it with a Fiskars plate, then lightly sanded it to accentuate the 'waves'. Some colours do not photograph true to life...IRL the rectangle behind the image is almost the same pink as that of the ribbon.
I used my Promarkers to colour The Little Mermaid.
        
A closer look at the shells, pearls, starfish, and the seaweed which I created using a Marianne die, and a Memory Box die. The 'seaweed' was cut from the same sheet of paper as the mat, despite the colour differences.
As usual I decorated the inside of my card to match the front. That gorgeous shiny paper is from a roll of book-covering paper that I bought years ago. I bought 3 or 4 rolls of different colours, but all of them change colour as they are moved about, and slightly reflect any colours nearby e.g. I was wearing a bright pink top when I took the photos (bottom RH corner, above).

Challenges I would like to enter are:-
Anything Goes #88 - 'Seeing Double-Use 2 of Anything' (2 mini cockle shells)
Cuttin' and Stampin' #11 - 'Pink, Blue, Yellow and Green'
Party Time Tuesdays #112 'Colour-Picture Challenge'
My Craft Spot #91 - 'Embossing or Glossy Accents'
Kaboodle Doodles #163 - 'Anything With Frills'
Cupcake Craft #234 - 'Mythical Creatures'
I Love Promarkers - 'Anything Goes'
Crafty Creations #214 - 'Embossing'
Simon Says Stamp - 'Water'

Image - Sassy Studio Design digi image Little Honey's Little Mermaid
Colouring - Promarkers
Dies - Memory Box Woodland Branch; Marianne LRO192; Spellbinders Scallop Ovals, Labels ?one, and Classic Rectangles
Punch - Martha Stewart Double Loops
Embossing - Fiskars plate Waves
Ink - Versacube Bamboo; Adirondack Denim
Stamp inside card - unknown (from a set at a $2 shop)

For a chance to win great prizes, why not visit Penny's Paper Crafty and enter our challenge.

Until next time, thank you for visiting, and "happy crafting".
Hugs,
Jennifer. x

16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Jennnifer. The image is fab and I love the deisgn and pretty ribbon.
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant image and gorgeous layout. Thank you for joining us at I♥Promarkers good luck Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be in Australia or there abouts to be in Autumn...my favorite time! Your mermaid is precious! Love the added starfish and embellies! Thank you for playing in our watered down challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute Jennifer! The mermaid is gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Cupcake Craft Challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute image Jennifer. Love the background you have greated and the gingham ribbon works really well with all the other embellies
    Wish we had a little of your heat over here, it's still freezing
    Eileen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jennifer love all the details on this ... Your seaweed and cute embellies are awesome!
    Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun card! Thanks for joining us on the Kaboodle Doodles Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challenges./Anna-Karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic card! The mermaid is adorable and I love the embossed water background! The tiered ribbon looks amazing too! Thanks for playing at My Craft Spot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous card, the image is very cute and coloured so well, love the ribbon.Thanks for joining in the Kaboodle Doodles Challenge
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cayoot! I love the embossed ocean too. Thanks for playing at Cupcake. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute, cute mermaid...she looks really sassy! Thanks for sharing over at Cuttin and Stampin.

    Teresa R.
    DT~Cuttin and Stampin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your choice of colours and the embossing is stunning. Thank you so much for joining us over at Anything Goes for our Seeing Double challenge xhugsx Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! This is beautiful!!! Love the image, the coloring and the stunning details!! Thanks for joining us over at Cupcake Craft Challenge this week! Good Luck! Hugs and sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great card! I love the coloring on the mermaid and way the card is embellished with shells. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous. Your ruffles look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, they mean such a lot to me.